Conflicts happen when we act or speak without thinking. If we had to stop for a moment and consider what we are about to do or say or take a few deep breaths and cool down first there would probably be a lot more peace in our lives and in the world.
Some things you can do
- Take some time to cool off.
- Think about what’s really going on for you.
- Ask yourself: how important is it that I pursue this? Will I remember it in five years time?
- Look at the part you are playing in the whole scenario because it takes two to tango.
- What are you looking for in this relationship?
- Ask yourself if you could handle this in a different way?
- Then, act – with purpose and coming from a position of creating a peaceful environment.
Often it’s simply about saying too much too soon.
So… Next time (because there will be a next time)
- Make some space to listen and hear the other person out.
- Ask yourself: What is the purpose that I want for this relationship? If you look at that, you will probably want it to be different, most likely better.
- Think “peace”.
- Then Act.
When you think before you act or speak you will most likely stand in your own power and be more satisfied with the results.
Try it next time, I know I’m going to.