I love lists and I found an amazing site called “Things we like” where people write a list of 10 things they like and then post it on the site. The 10 things have to be very detailed for example it can’t just be “I like my cat” it must be more like “I love the comforting feeling I get when my cat purrs when I hold her”. Have a look at the site, it’s a treat. https://listsofthingswelike.com/
This site of lists got me thinking (of course). It’s really about being present with our gratitude.
If we are present at least a few times a day and really observe the things that are happening we can experience so much more joy.
Here’s my list of 10 things:
- The feeling of my cat lying under the blankets with me and resting her head on my arm. It’s a bonus if she’s purring.
- A boiling hot shower in winter just before bed or a cool refreshing one in summer – basically a shower before bed.
- Lying on the grass under the trees in my garden, my dog at my side – no noise just the birds and the leaves rustling.
- Clouds, especially white whispy ones that look as though the sky was painted just for me.
- When my family are sitting together talking or playing a game and I’m suddenly present, looking at them and seeing each person with their unique qualities.
- The look on someone’s face when I have made a difference to their day.
- The sweet smell of jasmine flowers which signify that spring is coming soon.
- As I arrive in Braamfontein from Jan Smuts avenue and see the colourful buildings and the Nelson Mandela bridge in the distance – I just don’t get sick of it and I see it twice a week!
- When I get feedback on my blog it’s a real thrill to know that people are reading it and getting something out of it (no pressure).
- The way I feel so refreshed after an afternoon thunderstorm in summer
I’ve decided I’m going to start 30 days of gratitude challenge. Each day I’ll post it on Facebook – have a look at my facebook page and I hope you’ll join in. It will be fun to bring us home to what we have and to even notice that we have it.
Today’s gratitude challenge:
What smell are you grateful for today?
I’ll be happy to share some of your replies on next week’s blog if you like. Remember to like my Facebook page (it’s called @evemarkshealing) in order to get the daily gratitude prompts.