Steve Jobs said: “The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking, don’t settle.”
So how do you do great work if you don’t love what you do?
Find a way to love or at least like a part of it. Here are a few ideas.
* Have a purpose for what you are doing. Decide what it is you are going for – (If you haven’t done the Power of Purpose course you may wish to consider it as an option).
* Write a list of what you like about your work – maybe it’s the people or the coffee or the view out of your window or the organising.
* Write a list of what you dislike about your job. Now take that list and try and find ways to change a few of them.
* Why are you doing what you are doing? Your answers may give you clarity.
* If you are struggling with relationships at work consider getting a coach to help you through.
* Make a difference in someone else’s life at work. Giving of yourself to others – even if it’s a pleasant smile or a heartfelt ear – builds you up as well as being pleasurable.
* If you have an opportunity to work towards what you really want in your life then set a goal and start working towards it. The best time to begin was 5 years ago but if you didn’t, then begin now.
Keep in mind that even if you start off doing what you really love, it can still become drudgery and “just a job” if you don’t add purpose to it.
Wishing you well